62 DAYS. 1,488 HOURS. 89,280 MINUTES.
See that? That number up there? 2 months. 2 months from yesterday is May 17th. Starting to get real yet?
OK. We've got one more Classical Civilzation left to discuss. I'm gonna spend less time on this one because guaranteed your teacher wouldn't shut up about the Greeks/Romans. Most of the state end of course exams are pretty heavy on these guys. So, of everything we've discussed thus far; this is probably the thing you're familiar with the most, the West. This means the following groups: PHOENICIANS, ATHENs, SPARTA, ROMAN REPUBLIC, ROMAN EMPIRE.
This is meant to be a daily review. And, (as you're probably noticing in your class right now) there is not enough time to cover everything in great detail. So, look back over your notes, classwork, etc. on this.
Here are some wrap up videos that could help you out:
Beyond John Green, here are the specifics that the AP mentions in the curriculum:
- BELIEF SYSTEMS: The Med. is home to TWO of the belief systems that are crucial to this era (for that matter... China (Conf/Dao) and India (Hindu/Buddhism) each have two). The big ones are Greco-Roman philosophy & Christianity. Arguably, these are the two most important things to know about the Classical Mediterranean.
- ARTS/LITERATURE: Know the Greeks for the concept of Drama. Tragedy and Comedy are both theirs.
- ARCHITECTURE: Columns. Your teacher may have been obsessed with columns. "Memorize the different types of columns." - Your Teacher... Don't. Just be able to recgonize the Colisseum, Parthenon, Aqueducts, etc. Greek and Roman stuff should stick out as distinctly Mediterranean.
- GRECO-BUDDISM: The big syncretic event of the Classical period is Greco-Buddhism. Syncretism is just when two ideas come together and start to blend/share ideas. Like when you sync your phone with something. Greco-Buddhism is when the Greeks moved easward (Alexander) moved ean
- GOVERNMENT: Know these people for DEMOCRACY (Athens/Rome) and centralization of a large empire. Diplomacy and Army building are also associated with the Classical Mediterranean. Don't forget. "All roads lead to Rome." (Road building)
- CITIES: There are a few Classical cities that are required for you. The Mediterannean ones are: ROME, ATHENS, CARTHAGE, ALEXANDRIA, & CONSTANTINOPLE. By far the most cities of any Classical Civilization.
- THE FALL: The Fall of Rome happened for a myriad of reasons. Again, check back over your notes. But, the AP does want you to specifically know one reason: DEFORESTATION. Oh, and invasions. Don't forget about the Germanic Invasions from the north and east.
Is there more to know than this? Yes. Will the AP probably ask you more than just these points? Probably. But, the above are specifically mentioned.
If you want more, HERE's my page on the Classical Mediterranean.
On a sad note... this is the end of the Classical Civilizations... So, I give you the Classical Civilizations: IN MEMORIUM: